And November goes,
With the last red berries
And the first white snows.
With night coming early,
And dawn coming late,
And ice in the bucket
And frost by the gate
The fires burn
And the kettles sing,
And earth sinks to rest
Until next spring.
- Clyde Watson
- Crosscards lovely November wallpapers
- Disagreeing with Thomas Hood
- Memorizing Psalms. We'll polish up Psalm 100 and Psalm 150 from previous years. Today I relish the task of choosing the new one for this year's Thanksgiving celebration. Which would you choose?
- Singing "Come, Ye Thankful People, Come" and "We Gather Together". I think there ought to be more Thanksgiving music. "Over the River and Through the Woods" is great, but really it needs more of its own holiday music. Any favorite Thanksgiving albums?
- Buying poppies. My grandfather used to buy them for me at the bank when I was a little girl and I still love to find a veteran accepting donations for poppies.
- the end of Daylight Savings Time and dinners by candlelight - coming this Sunday!
- Thanksgiving decorations - I got a lovely cornucopia on clearance last year, pilgrims from a floral arrangement my parent sent the first year we were married, a cute little pilgrim and Indian playset....
- Going home for Thanksgiving. AHHHHH!- I'm so excited!! Terri, congratulations!! I'm coming to see your sweet new Adelyn Grace (love that name!). And I'm going to meet my cousin's new husband, and I'm going to watch football with my dad and brothers, and my sister Hannah is going to pop up from Virginia...AHHHH! (shaking head, screaming)
- Remembering meeting Brian for the very first time 12 years ago. He saw me in a doctor's office waiting room and went home and told his parents that he'd met the girl he was going to marry - we hadn't even had a conversation! They asked about my name. He'd only heard them call my first name, but said the last name didn't matter because it was going to change! Less than three weeks later he spoke with my dad and we two crazy-about-each-other, head-over-heels-in-love kids were espoused... And I'm still head over heels and crazy about him.
- Chrysanthemums. They just say "November" to me. Might have to do with this.
- The day after Thanksgiving official start to Christmas - please refrain from playing Christmas music at least until after Thanksgiving dinner. It's just not right. See #4. Thanksgiving needs its own special music so people will quit crowding it
- Our church's special anniversary service that typically falls the Sunday before Thanksgiving. And I'm going to miss it (see #8). Did you just hear my heart break?
- Pumpkin food - pie, cake, muffins.
What do you like about November?